See that? Its a fancy new embed code!
Listen to the show here
Listen to the show here
Segment 1: The current state of Kathleen’s religious beliefs subject to change at my time without notice.
Segment 2: Holidays! Can’t we all just get along?
Segment 4: Control of Nature by John McPhee: wrapping up Atchafalaya and introducing cooling the lava
CONTEST to win one of these:
next episode discussion questions will be out, to enter answer them along with the following question:
– What famous hollywood moving has a scene based on the events from Cooling the Lava?
– What is the name of the movie and what is the scene?
Listen to me here
Sumatra Quake USGS page: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqinthenews/2012/usc000905e/ Strike Slip Focal Mechanism
Normal Fault Focal Mechanism
Thrust Fault Focal Mechanism
NPR story page: http://www.npr.org/2012/04/11/150440356/quakes-caused-by-waste-from-gas-wells-study-finds
Say hi to Kate: @AnthroKate
Seismoscope from China: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/eqmonitoring/eq-mon-6.php#earliest
Control of Nature on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Control-Nature-John-McPhee/dp/0374522596
– Old River Control Structure:
– Before you read this section, did you have any thoughts or feelings about flood control systems and has that changed since you read this section? How about on the Mississippi?
– What are your feelings on the fact that we are keeping the Mississippi River in its current bed and not letting it migrate across the delta?
– What is the closest river or stream to where you live? Are there any man made modifications to it? How do you feel about it?
– What factors along the drainage and path of the Mississippi river have changed since the water flux for the Project Flood was calculated that add to the increase in flux of water through the lower Mississippi during high stands?
email: email@example.com facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Borealis-Meditation/149460745070744 Shop: http://www.etsy.com/people/athenaspear and http://www.facebook.com/AthenaSpear
The Main topic of this episode was Sonification of Data
The first featured data set was the 2011 earthquake catalog of events over Magnitude 4.5
the audio segment I shared was from Feb 1 – April 15
Question 1) What can you hear about the change in world wide earthquakes after the Tohoku earthquake? What can you hear that might be hard to see in the data set if you were to pause the video on April 15th?
The next featured data set was star oscillations by the artist Jeff Talman. I played a segment of his piece Nature of the night sky (2011)
Here are the stars used and my brief descriptions.
Eta Bootis – a star in the conetallation Bootis and also has the traditional names of Muphrid and Saak
Procyon – brightest star in the constellation canis minor and is the seventh brightest star in the night sky
Mu Herculis – in the constellation Hercules and is in a system about 27.1 light years from earth
Beta Virginis – is a star in the constellation of virgo and has a traditional name of Zavihava and alaraph, it is the fifth star in order of brightness
49933 – a solar like star that is located about 98 light years from the sun in the constellation Monoceros the Unicorn
Alpha Centari B – brightest star in the constellation of Centaurus, it is a binary star system and only B was used in this recording
Tau Ceti – in the constellation Cetus and specrtally similar to the sun, centus is a sea monster in greek mythology and it is also often called the whale today
Borealis Meditation Book Club!
we are reading:
The Control of Nature by John McPhee (link to amazon but go to a local bookstore!)
Read Chapter 1 for next episode (end of March)
– Egg seed starter
– coconut bowls
Volcanoes and earthquakes you would like me to talk about
Regions where you live for geomorphology and rock hounding!